Thursday, June 9, 2011

Helpy Hand- Child Sponsorship

One of my goals in life is to become a philanthropist. I will touch lives and make a difference. I imagine myself helping the needy through volunteering and donating money/everyday necessities. At first I do not have any idea where or how to start, so my volunteerism is put on hold until I meet my office mate (who is now my friend) Judy.

Judy is part of the Child Sponsorship Program in World Vision Philippines. She donates money for the educational needs of the child and the community as well. She is the one who encouraged me to be part of the program by signing up to World Vision Child Sponsorship Program and then you will donate P600.00 monthly to your sponsored child. I am hesitant at first to donate money to someone who I do not know and I am skeptical if the sponsored child will benefit from the donation. So I check World Vision's website to be familiar with their programs and with Judy's help I understand how the program works.

Months passed....I was in Greenbelt that Sunday ( August 30, 2009) and luckily there was a World Vision Booth. There were a lot of catalogue brochures that (I don't know what it is called) contained the kid's information and picture. They were grouped according to community. I wasn't sure who to choose. The World Vision Lady was kind enough to assist me and later she told me that one catalogue was left for a certain group. So I chose this lucky little boy who was in his 1st grade level. I filled up all the necessary information and paid for the month's donation. And that was it! I am officially a child sponsor :)

*For confidentiality purposes, pictures of the child and letters are blurred.*

welcome pack together with the child's information
 What happened next:


I wrote him a letter and gave him a toy car as a birthday gift.
He replied back thanking me for the gift and he really liked it.


reply letter (2010)
 He gave me a Christmas Card and he wished me well. I also received a progress report from him.


christmas card (2010)
progress report with letter on the left side and picture on the center (2010)

From his last letter, he is now in Grade 3. He will be celebrating his birthday this July.

Change a child's life NOW. 
For more info on child sponsorship visithttp://www.worldvision.org.ph/


~ v

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations V! :)

    love it! :)

    join http://www.20sb.net if you want to meet more bloggers .. its a community for 20something bloggers, well ... awesome people there.

    I will tell them about this sponsorship so they could also check out your site! :)

    miss you! ... sorry I woke up early wasnt able to reply! Hopefully our time will be coordinated. maybe tonight and ill explain everything.

    ReplyDelete
  2. toni! hello! i was waiting for you last night, what's our time difference again? hope to talk to you tonight! thanks for the info :)

    ReplyDelete